We are glad that you have decided to volunteer with Loving Thunder Therapeutic Riding.
There are three steps to get started, as you’ll see below: a video, a self-assessment, and the actual application. Please, read on.
To prepare for the orientation, you will need to view a very informative video about therapeutic riding and what is needed of volunteers. The video is on YouTube and can be accessed by clicking this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-iDe2ZwdE. The video is about 24 minutes long. However, you don’t have to watch it in one sitting, there are a few different sections that will allow you to conveniently pause it from time to time. You will not be able to stay for the orientation if you have not previously watched the video. It is a must.
While volunteering with horses and individuals is a “cool gig,” it comes with certain responsibilities. We want you to have a full understanding of what is required of every team member. The questions below are an integral part of being a volunteer. Please answer them honestly because we are interested in everyone having the best and most fulfilling experience while at Loving Thunder Therapeutic Riding. By everyone, we mean the riders, the riders’ caregivers, the volunteers, and the horses.
If you can answer “Yes” to all of the questions below, you are welcome to complete the application at the bottom of this page. Once we have your application, we will provide further information about the required trainings and observation times by e-mail.
If you are not able to answer “Yes” to the questions and you want to help with marketing and promotional duties, please E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org and I will have our Promotion Department Head contact you with additional information.
1. Have you viewed the video? Yes____ No____
2. Do you believe that you can perform the duties shown in the video? Yes____ No____
3. Will you be able to complete the orientation and 2 observation sessions? Yes____ No____
4. Once trained, you will be able to sign-up for timeslots of your choosing. However, keeping your commitment to those timeslots is essential for others with special needs to be able to participate. Do you understand that your absence (for a timeslot you selected) can prevent a rider from having their session? Yes____ No____(Your commitment is crucial)
5. Do you understand that you will be required to be on your feet for 2-4 hours (when you are scheduled) in an outdoor environment? Yes____ No____
6. Can you walk and/or jog for 50-75 feet without stopping for at least 30 min/hr ? Yes____ No____
7. Are you able to assist a person off the horse in an emergency situation (must be able to lift 50 lbs)? (We will train you in the proper way to do an emergency dismount.) Yes____ No____
8. Are you willing to help with general ranch chores such as cleaning stalls, pulling weeds, or other maintenance during your scheduled time, especially if a rider fails to show up? Yes____ No____
I hope you were able to answer “Yes” to all of the above. Anyone who has ever worked with on a ranch will tell you that it can be dirty and smelly. However, if you are motivated by a real desire to help us make the world a better place (one horse ride at a time), I guarantee that Loving Thunder Ranch will be one of the most fulfilling volunteering experiences you can have.
Once we have received your application, we will follow up with upcoming training dates. We strive to be as flexible as possible, so dates are chosen according to applicant's available schedules. Once these 3 required trainings are accomplished you will be cleared to start working with our riders and horses.
1. Orientation (part 1)- Who we are, who we serve, policy and procedures, and tour of the facility.
2. Hands on Horse ( part 2) - Learn the Loving Thunder way of grooming, tacking up the horse(putting on saddle), sidewalking, and emergency dismount.
3. Observe 2 (1 hr) lessons - You will be watching existing lessons and getting a visual idea of how our program helps others.
(These trainings can be taken in any order)
We realize that this may seem like a lot, but we hope you will understand how important your job will be and we feel it is necessary for everyone’s safety and well-being.
Contact us 505-554-9493 info@lovingthunder
Rio Rancho, NM.
I would like to help Loving Thunder TODAY.
Donate any amount by clicking on the donate
Loving Thunder Therapeutic Riding, Inc © all Rights Reserved 2014